Saturday 5 January 2013

Scared of the dark...

Yep. I'm scared of the dark. simple. As I'm writing this, I'm actually in someone else's house babysitting, and although I'm happy the girls have finally gone to sleep and stopped wailing for mummy and daddy, it's kind of left me with a rather dark, empty, creaky house to deal with, and I. AM. PETRIFIED! ...
I'm pretty sure anyone who reads this will experience this at least a few times in their life - when it's night time and the house makes a slight creek, maybe from the wind or something, and you instantly want to curl up into a ball and hide because that little part of you really believes there's something there, even if your rational mind knows there's not. That slight stabbing feeling that haunts you with the slightest hint of movement, which leaves you feeling broken, vulnerable .. and empty. Ready to be possessed, not by some demon or deadly spirit from any horror films (which are, might i add, the reason for my fear of darkness!), no, something much worse. You become chock-full of fear itself.
"The only thing you have to fear is fear itself"
Yeah I have no idea who said that, but I'm sure you'll know the quote. I think what I'm trying to say is - whenever you're scared of the dark, and you get that feeling where you're all twitched, like someone's behind you the whole time, there's actually fun to be had. After enduring a lot, and I mean A LOT of dark, scary nights, especially in my own, 100 year old, creaky Victorian home, I've kind of naturally found a coping method where I think of all the silly ways I can talk about this moment with my friends the next day, and giggle about it. Where instead of scaring myself silly with the thought of scenes from horror movies, I think of comedy sketches, programs or films that have used these moments to make fun of and laugh about - because there's just as much of them as there are horror films! ... But if that fails - just make sure you turn all the lights on!

No comments:

Post a Comment